Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
Helm Schmidt Jr. Home
25212 Atwood Blvd., Newhall
image
Click image to enlarge | Download archival scan

October 1961 — Helm Schmidt Jr.'s home in Newhall, 25212 Atwood Blvd.

Helm (1912-1998) and his older brother Earl Schmidt (1906-1979) grew up in present-day Canyon Country on their parents' 113-acre 6-S Ranch (named for the six Schmidts: parents Helm Sr. and Anna, aka "Josie," and siblings Homer, Helma, Earl and Helm Jr.). After high school in San Fernando, Earl and Helm Jr. stayed to work the ranch, north of Soledad Canyon Road between Camp Plenty and Whites Canyon roads, where the North Oaks tract is today. Aviation buffs, in 1946 they built an airstrip.

According to Earl's granddaughter Cassandra Skaggs, Earl and Helm established households of their own, elsewhere in the SCV, when (or shortly before) they married — Helm in 1945 (Marjorie Smith), Earl in 1948 (Mabel Keef).

Helm Sr. died in 1930, followed by Josie in 1952. Earl and Helm Jr. continued to operate the 6-S Ranch Airpark until 1956 when a majority of the siblings decided to sell the property.

Helm Jr. then got a job with the California Highway Patrol. In 1958, he built or bought this new, 1,212-square foot, 3-bedroom home in Newhall's Atwood District, as the area was known.

As of 2019, the house still stands in its original, unaltered configuration.


SK6101: 9600 dpi jpeg from color transparency (slide film) developed October 1961, courtesy of Cassandra Skaggs. Online only.
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus