Pacific Telephone equipment by Western Electric, from the Pardee House from the days when
Newhall phone numbers were one or two digits.
The Pardee House, built in 1890 as a Good Templar's lodge, stood at the "triangle"
of Newhall Avenue, Market and Walnut streets when it was sold in 1946 to the Pacific Telephone Co.,
which used it as the second telephone exchange in the area (the first debuted in 1900). After 1969 the
telephone company leased out the building, finally donating it to the Santa Clarita Valley Historical
Society, which moved it down the street to Heritage Junction Historic Park in August 1992.
Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society Collection.