The Harry Carey home in San Francisquito Canyon was totally destroyed by fire Friday evening, September 2nd, with a loss estimated at $10,000 on the home and $8,000 on the contents.
The County Forestry fire fighters, as well as the National Forestry truck went to the scene of the fire, but by the time the firemen arrived the house was a mass of flames.
The fire was caused by the explosion of a tank of gas, when and employee entered the shed where it was kept, with a lighted lantern, to get some gasoline to fill the engine of the pump station. The flames quickly spread to the home.
A large amount of the furnishings were carried out by the family, and the loss of contents thus much reduced. The loss is partially covered by insurance.
One item of the loss can hardly be valued, that is a good part of Mr. Carey's manuscript, he being engaged in literary work to a considerable degree. One book, completed and sold, but the manuscript not yet delivered, with no copy saved, was about the most serious loss.
The home has been the work of the Careys over a period of several years, ever since they located on the ranch. While the family were in Africa, making the picture, "Trader Horn," vandals robbed the house of many of the fixtures, some two years ago.