6-page program book, 6¼x10¼ inches (one sheet, trifold) for the fourth annual Baker Ranch Rodeo in Saugus, California, April 28, 1929. (Future Saugus Speedway.)
Presenters Bob Anderson and Roy Baker note on the back page: "The Baker Ranch Rodeo has grown and developed during the past four years until today it is classed one of the four largest Rodeos in the United States."
Infield judges are Harry Huston of Huntington Park, Dr. Van Sant of Bakersfield and Roland Hill of Tehachapi.
Track judges and times are Andrew Donohue of Saugus, Hosea Steelman of Newhall and John Mitchell of Honby.
Walter Robbins is the starter; chute judges are C.Y. Jones, Art Hall and J. Mooney.
"Arena men" are Fay Adams, who won the steer roping competition at Saugus in 1927 and 1928;
stockman Andy Jauregui of Newhall, who at this time was rated No. 3 by the Rodeo Association of America;
and Pablo Araujo, a local muleteer who can be seen leading a string of mules and delivering supplies to an L.A. Aqueduct construction camp in San Francisquito Canyon in 1910.
Trick roper Sam Garrett is a contestant here in 1929; in 1940 he bought a spread in Sand Canyon where he established the Circle G Ranch. He sold it in about 1963; today it is a housing subdivision.
The future Saugus Speedway was built originally as a rodeo arena in 1927 by Roy Baker, brother of shoe magnate C.H. Baker.
Roy Baker purchased the 40-acre property east of Bouquet Junction in 1923 for the purpose of breeding and selling show and pleasure horses.
To that end he imported saddle brood mares from Kentucky and studded them with a pedigreed, chestnut-colored saddlebred stallion named Peavine McDonald (b. 1910),
which sired five pedigreed mares and four pedigreed colts between 1920 and 1936.
Baker advertised that he had 2,500 acres of grazing land and also offered training and boarding services for outside horses.
Probably to attract horse buyers to his ranch in faraway Saugus, Baker staged rodeos. Some references suggest he
built a 12,000-seat arena in 1924, but this is dubious. (Promoter Bob Anderson organized a local rodeo in 1924, but its exact location is unclear, and it wouldn't
have had grandtands.) Anderson did hold the annual rodeo on Baker's property in April 1926. That December,
Baker and Anderson started construction on a new stadium, complete with partially covered grandstand seating and a quarter-mile oval track.
When it opened May 1, 1927, it seated 18,000 fans, and thousands more had to be turned away for lack of room.
Over the next decade, ownership of the arena
would change hands three more times.
As with a majority of the American populace, Baker was hit hard financially by the Great Depression of 1929 and was forced
to sell the stadium to cowboy actor Hoot Gibson in 1930. Gibson continued to hold rodeos at the stadium and drew a Hollywood crowd
including famous actors such as William S. Hart, Harry Carey, Tom Mix, and John Wayne. He also used the stadium as a movie set
or leased it to other companies for film making.
But Gibson felt the effects of the Depression, as well. In September 1933 he appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom and pleaded poverty,
saying he had no assets with which to repay a $2,500 loan. He testified that he owned a one-third interest in Hoot Gibson Inc., which owned
the Saugus rodeo, and that it was in arrears.
In 1934, Gibson sold the stadium to Paul Hill, owner of the Western Livestock Stockyards, who continued to call it the Hoot Gibson Rodeo.
As with his predecessors, however, the stadium brought
Hill financial hardship when it was hit by the Great Flood of March 2, 1938. Heavy rains that year caused a river of water to flow down
Soledad Canyon and filled the ranch home and arena with mud and debris. As reported in the Los Angeles
Times, the "old buildings ... collapsed during the March floods" and the arena was built anew.
Nonetheless, Hill lost the ranch sometime after the April 1938 rodeo. According to Reynolds,
the property was repossessed by
the bank. In 1939, ownership passed to William Bonelli, and it was renamed Bonelli Stadium.
Bonelli, a professor of economics at Occidental College,
continued the annual rodeo tradition
for a number of years but introduced auto racing in 1939 on a more frequent schedule; ultimately auto racing became the primary draw and Bonelli
renamed the arena Saugus Speedway.
Occasional rodeos and circuses continued until at least the late 1960s, auto racing until 1995. The facility was sometimes used for
concerts before the grandstands were removed in 2012 (the originals had been replaced in 1955). The venue continues to host an outdoor swap meet.
AL1929: pdf of original program book, collection of Alan Pollack. Duplicate original copy in archive. Download individual pages here