Double-truck photograph on both the inside front cover and inside back cover of the 1966 Tomahawk (William S. Hart High School yearbook)
showing the transition from maroon and gray uniforms to red and white.
Hart High students were housed in 1945 on the Walnut Street campus of Newhall Elementary while the school was being built one block to the west. The
new campus opened in September 1946, and it was the Santa Clarita Valley's only high school until 1968 when Canyon High opened. From the 1940s to 1968, students came to Hart from all
over the SCV. (Agua Dulce was split down the middle; kids on the east side went to high school in the Antelope Valley.)
The original Hart High ASB picked the Indian as their mascot and chose maroon and gray as their school colors. There are differing stories as to
why they changed 20 years later (cheerleaders didn't like the way the colors faded in the wash; a school administrator got a deal on red and white uniforms; maybe both).
But change they did — not to red, white and black, but to red and white.
Here, in a photo from the 1966 Tomahawk, which was published at the end of the 1965-1966 school year (the photo was probably shot in the spring of 1966), we see
the transition. Cheerleaders in front are wearing maroon and gray, while others (drill team members?) are wearing red and white.