June 9, 2015 — Santa Clarita City Council Agenda Item 15: Approval of a disposition and development agreement with National Community
Renaissance of California and Newhall Avenue Housing Partners LP for the development of a 30-unit housing complex with 13 income-restricted units on Newhall Avenue.
Phase 1 of the project, at 23610 Newhall Ave. (ex-San Fernando Road), was the site of a U.S. Forest Service ranger station starting in 1923. At some point the building went away (further research needed), and in 1975 the property
was deeded from the federal government to the state for use as a Caltrans yard. In 2010 the city of Santa Clarita purchased the property from Caltrans for the appraised value of $1.096 million with the intention of developing it into an affordable housing complex
with partial funding from the city's redevelopment agency housing fund. But the state canceled redevelopment in 2012 and the housing project didn't happen.
City staff continued to pursue the goal of an affordable housing project for the site. These documents pertain to that new plan.
Phase 2 would redevelop the Town & Country Liquor shopping center ("privately owned parcel") and the vacant city-owned "Jang parcel" on the north.