Santa Clarita Valley historian Arthur B. Perkins sits at his desk in the Trueblood family's newspaper office — The Newhall
Signal and Saugus Enterprise.
Photo by Hal Cooley, probably in 1960 when Cooley was shooting photos for The Signal, and quite possibly in December 1960 when Hal and Jane Cooley made other Signal staff photographs. (The
original image is out of focus.)
Perkins is either in the Trueblood-owned building at 22504 6th Street (corner Railroad), built in 1951, or in his own office bunglows next door at 22508 6th Street, which he built in 1956.
The Signal expanded into his complex and remained there during the Scott and Ruth Newhall years, renting from Perkins until his death in 1977 and afterward from his heirs until
1986 when the paper moved to Creekside Road in Valencia. Named "Perkins Court," 22508 is more popularly known as the "red Signal buildings."
Alterations and additions were made to 22504 6th Street in 1981 and 2015, after which it housed the Ceramic Artist Studio, aka CASI.
Further reading: The Story of Our Valley and other works by A.B. Perkins.
22504 6th Street, with a hotel under construction behind it. Google image 2019. Click image to enlarge.
SG6002: 9600 dpi jpeg from original print, Signal Photo Archive.