Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
HISTORY OF THE SANTA CLARITA VALLEY BY JERRY REYNOLDS
[PREVIOUS][CONTENTS][SEARCH]

NOTES

1. Reynolds wrote that Juan José Fustero died in 1916; however, his death certificate, maintained by the County of Ventura, places his date of death as June 30, 1921. Also, while Fustero often boasted that he was the "Last of the Piru Indians," anecdotal evidence suggests that Fustero was married to a full-blooded Tataviam woman who bore him children (Los Angeles Herald Examiner, 1965). According to Rudy "Standing Bear" Ortega Jr., spiritual leader of the Fernandeño-Tataviam tribe, in the 1990s an estimated six hundred Los Angeles County residents could claim at least partial Tataviam parentage. [BACK]

2. David S. Whitley, Ph.D., A Guide to Rock Art Sites, pg. 10. [BACK]

3. Among the artifacts taken to the Peabody Museum of American Ethnology at Harvard University were four ritual staffs (Arlene Benson, The Noontide Sun, pg. 11), one of which the Peabody traded to a museum in Australia in 1954 (Blackburn and Hudson, Time's Flotsam, pg. 45. [BACK]

4. Often spelled "Ignacio" by modern writers, the "Y" was used in Del Valle's day, as evidenced by his grave marker. [BACK]

5. Reynolds used "The Camulos Story" by Wally Smith (1958) as the basis for chapters 14 and 15. [BACK]

6. Some accounts suggest that it was the outbreak of the Mexican-American war in 1846 that caused the miners from Sonora, Mexico, to abandon the Placerita gold fields. [BACK]

7. Archaeologists tend to agree that while the Lopez find was the first documented discovery of gold in California and touched off the first gold rush, it was likely not the first time gold was found in the state (see, for example, Newhall Ranch: Draft Environmental Impact Report, 1996). Historian Charles F. Outland relays the story (in Mines, Murders and Grizzlies, 1969) of a party of about twenty men, led by one Santiago Feliciano, that left Mission San Fernando in 1820 on an expedition into Hasley Canyon where, approximately ten miles back, near Piru (in the area now known as San Feliciano Canyon), they were shown "how the Mexicans washed out gold" (pp. 72 ff.). There are also reports of a Canadian named Baptiste Ruelle finding gold near Mission San Fernando in 1841 (see Pioneers of California by Donovan Lewis, 1993). [BACK]

8. Bill Bradbury, brother of actor Bob Steele, also sang for John Wayne in those old Lone Star pictures (1933-35), most of which were directed by Bradbury's father, Robert. Also, note: Reynolds wrote in his original text that Melody Ranch was one of the places used in a more famous John Wayne picture — "Stagecoach" (John Ford, 1939). This isn't true, and the reference has been omitted here. [BACK]


©1998, SANTA CLARITA VALLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY · RIGHTS RESERVED.
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply