Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> MOJAVE DESERT
Drone Video of Tropico Gold Mine
Rosamond, California


Loading...

Aug. 17, 2012 — Video of abandoned Tropico mine and camp, Rosamond, Calif.

Video shot from a remote-control helicopter equipped with a Fat Shark vision/video system.

FPV equipment:

TBS Discovery Quadcopter

900mhz Vtx

FrSky 2.4ghz Radio

Exceed Rocket motors

DJI ESC

APC 10x3.8 props

Gopro Hero2


Rosamond, est. 1877, is located in the Mojave Desert. Out of Santa Clarita, take Highway 14 north past Lancaster.

The Tropico Gold Mine opened in the 1890s as the Lida Mine. It thrived throughout the first decades of the 20th Century until the late 1950s, by which time the cost of extracing the gold nearly equalled the fixed market price of the yellow metal ($35 per ounce). Its owners turned it into a touristy ghost down but shut it down in the mid-1980s, again amid rising costs — this time in the form of insurance premiums.

Today the privately owned property is fenced off — no trespassing. Occasionally the property is used for filming (e.g., "Ocean's Thirteen" starring George Clooney, 2007).

Rosamond and the Tropico Gold Mine

The city of Rosamond was another depot on the Southern Pacific Rail Line in 1876 and a trading post for local mines. First known as Bayle Station or Baylesville after postmaster David Bayles (1885), the town was later renamed Rosamond (Rosamond County Library vertical file, n.d.). Rosamond town site lots were obtained from the Southern Pacific by an E.H. Seymour in 1904 and sold to a C.C. Calking three years later (Settle, 1967), who then "sold the mortgage to Charles M. Stinson, who in turn presented [deeded] it to the Union Rescue Mission of Los Angeles who foreclosed the mortgage in 1916. In 1935, the Rescue Mission began selling lots in the townsite, later presenting the remaining property to the community" (Darling, 2003).

Prior to the settling and eventual development of Rosamond, Tropico Hill was being mined for clay by Dr. L.A. Crandall who purchased the mine in 1882. Hamilton renamed the mine "Hamilton Hill" and during the course of the clay-mining activities, gold was discovered. Having changed names again, the then known "Lida Mine" was sold to the Antelope Mining Company in 1908 and again to the Tropico Mining and Milling Company in 1909. Eventually the mine was acquired by the Burton brothers in 1912, who were former employees of the Tropico Mining and Milling Company. For a brief period between 1942 and 1946, in support of World War II wartime mining efforts, the mine closed. Once the war was past, the mine reopened and remained in operation until 1956. The Tropic Gold Mine was "one of the most successful gold mines in California" (Cunkelman, 2001).


Courtesy of Christopher Stoneham

TROPICO MINE
Rosamond

thumbnail
Stuckey Bldg ~1890

thumbnail
Wind Sailing 1890s

thumbnail
Rosamond Depot 1912

thumbnail
2007 x4

thumbnail
Drone Video 2012

thumbnail
2013 x11

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply