Bill Hawley shot a 72 to win the first annual Duffers Tournament at the new, 18-hole Valencia Country Club (Big V) golf course on June 3, 1966. He won a set of clubs and was the first to have his name engraved on a perpetual trophy (shown).
We don't know, but Bill Hawley might be a relative (although not a son) of Wilbur P. Hawley, owner of Hawley Drug Store at 745 Spruce Street (today's 24336 Main Street,
southwest corner of Main and 8th Street in Newhall). It became Smidt Pharmacy effective January 2, 1951, after he sold it to Glen E. and Cecelia L. Smidt. Wilbur died just months
later (August 31, 1951) at his Hawley Ranch in Placerita Canyon. He was 57. Wilbur and wife Josephine had one adopted son (John) who was 3 years old in 1951.
Cliffie Stone presided over the awards ceremony for the 1966 tournament. Bob Downs provided the musical entertainment, and the tournament benefited the
William S. Hart Scholarship Foundation, which awarded scholarships to graduates of Hart High School — the Santa Clarita Valley's only high school at the time. According to Judge
C.M. MacDougall, who chaired the scholarship committee (see below), scholarships had been awarded since 1952. (The first graduating class was 1949.)
One of the first components of Valencia, the Valencia Country Club was known as the Valencia Golf Club in Saugus when it opened June 21, 1965. Valencia's first single-family homes opened in 1967.
Signal photograph (photographer unknown), 4x5 inch negative. Extremely backlit, the image is enhanced for presentation here. The archival scan is unenhanced. The Signal ran the photo
April 12, 1967, to publicize the second annual tournament on May 20.
4x5 negative, Signal Photo Archive, Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society collection.