The first official Newhall schoolhouse was built in 1879 at the northeast corner of
Walnut and Ninth Streets, two blocks back from Newhall's "Main Street," aka Railroad Avenue (not to be confused with today's Main Street, which used to be called Spruce Street).
The school housed first-through-eighth graders and saw an average daily attendance of
just seven children. No more than 13 ever attended on a single day, even though 53 school-age
children were living in the vicinity when the school was erected.
Pictured in the middle of this (ca. 1883) photograph is the teacher and principal, John Ellsworth Wright.
According to Wright's great-grandson Sven E. Svenson
of Oregon (pers. comm. July 2001), Wright was principal and teacher with the Newhall
School District for nine years, later serving as principal of Miramonte School in the San Francisco Bay Area
from 1908-1936. Wright had (at least) two daughters; Ethel Wright (Svensen's grandmother) was born in Newhall
This school building burned to the ground in 1890 and was rebuilt nearby. For more information read
History of Newhall School.