Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

4th Grade Class, 1951/52

Newhall Elementary School

image
Click image to enlarge | Download archival scan

Newhall Elementary School: Mrs. Katherine Garver's 4th grade class of 1952 (1951-1952 school year). The photo­graph was likely made in the fall of 1951.

The only school in the Newhall School District opened the year with a total enrollment of 462. One year later, it grew by 20 pupils for a total of 482.

Garver, who was also the school's vice principal, lived a couple of blocks from the campus (1209 Kansas Street). She was one of two winners of the PTA's "attendance count" during 1951-1952, implying her kids actually showed up for class, and she was chosen the following school year to attend the prestigious 2-week "Child Study Work Shop of the Los Angeles County schools."

Located at 24607 Walnut Street, this is the fifth Newhall School building, replacing the fourth school that burned down in the same location in 1939.

5x7 photograph donated by Sherie Lynn Caldwell (Gustafson), who is one of the children in the photo.

Further reading: History of Newhall School.

More class pictures:


GF5201: 9600 dpi jpeg from original photograph donated by Sherie Lynn Caldwell Gustafson, 2019. Photo file.
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus