Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> GLADYS LANEY
Gladys Thibaudeau (Laney)
Newhall Resident


Click image to enlarge

Gladys Thibaudeau (married name Gladys Laney) as a teenager in the early-mid 1920s. Studio portrait.

Gladys was born July 16, 1910, at home on the southwest corner of Market Street and Newhall Avenue. She attended the third K-8 Newhall School on Pico Road (later called Lyons); we don't know but it's possible this was a graduation photo. In any case it shows Gladys around the time she was attending dances at the dance hall in Mentryville and Hap-A-Lan Hall in Newhall (northwest corner Market and Railroad Avenue). Neither building exists today; the latter was razed after it was used as a makeshift morgue for St. Francis Dam victims in 1928.

After Newhall School, Gladys attended San Fernando High School and UCLA. As of 2014 she still lives on Market Street, although her childhood home is now a senior apartment complex.


GL2401: 9600 dpi jpeg from original 4x6-inch matte print.
GLADYS LANEY

thumbnail
VIDEO ~2002


thumbnail
Gladys 1920s

thumbnail
Story 2000

thumbnail
July 4 Parade 2012

thumbnail
104th Birthday 2014


Obituary 11-24-2014
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply